– Supercardioid with especially consistent directionality throughout its frequency range
– Vertical (side-addressed) supercardioid capsule
– For a very wide range of recording applications
– High directivity, comparable to that of a short “shotgun“ microphone up through midrange frequencies
– Often preferred for use in music and speech recording, as a spot microphone and also as a main microphone, especially when using the OCT recording method
Like the CCM 41, the CCM 41V is useful in all situations with music or speech, either as “spot“ microphones or as overall directional microphones. However, this type of microphone is addressed from the side.
It excels particularly in the constancy of its polar response throughout the audio spectrum. As a result, sound within 90º on either side of the main axis is picked up with virtually no alteration of frequency response or tone color. This is strongly evident with sound sources that are in motion, but is also of great benefit in obtaining stable, precise stereo imaging for normal music recordings
This capsule is preferred for use as a support microphone as well as in the OCT (“Optimized Cardioid Triangle“) microphone system for surround sound recording introduced by Dr. Theile (formerly at the Institute for Broadcast Technology). (The front left and right channels in that system are picked up by sideways facing supercardioid microphones)
The CCM 41V may be easier to use in near-coincident setups than the CCM 41: the microphone bodies do not get in each other’s way.
Have the greatest directional effect
The supercardioid has the greatest directional effect of any first-order pressure gradient transducer. The response 90° off-axis is -10 dB. The polar diagram is consistent at all frequencies, which means that regardless of its direction of origin, sound will be picked up free of unwanted coloration. For this reason the supercardioid is the preferred type of microphone for dialog recording in film and video sound, particularly indoors. From low to midrange frequencies, the directionality of a supercardioid is comparable to that of a shotgun microphone.
The technical data correspond to that of the respective MK capsule.